In Spokane’s Spokesman-Review, the marriage equality issue in Washington State is given some real-life background for its readers: the story of a couple who’d like to be legally married. Governor Chris Gregoire has recently announced her support for marriage equality in Washington- a state that has had domestic partnerships for same-sex couples in place since 2007. Eastern Washington- traditionally more conservative than the Sound Side- is the audience served by the Spokesman Review, and a great place to see this rational and reasonable opinion piece getting such great play. Some Washington Republican legislators have recently announced their support as well. I think it’s looking better and better every day to expect marriage equality to pass the Washington legislature this year.
The times, they are a-changin’. Warms my heart.
Here’s a taste of the story- with the money quote in bold:
Flannery doesn’t expect churches to change their stances on same-sex marriage, but he does believe government should treat everyone equally.
So does Susan Hammond, a Spokane nurse. Late Wednesday night, after Gregoire’s speech, Hammond posted on Facebook a letter to her legislators. She invited her friends to forward it as well.
She wrote, “I am counting on your leadership and humanity to do the right thing so that my young adult son, who is gay, can live in a society that affirms who he is and allows him the same right his brothers already have: to marry the person of his choice.”
The opposition to same-sex marriage baffles Hammond. “I honestly don’t get it,” she says.
After all, the strongest argument against changing the law is that marriage has traditionally been defined as being between a man and a woman. But that’s like using a long-standing definition of slavery as an argument against emancipation.
I’m making that my facebook status today.
- Republicans, Local Governments Endorse Marriage Equality Effort In Washington State (thinkprogress.org)
- POLL: Independents, Moderates Support Marriage Equality In Washington State (thinkprogress.org)
- More Evidence That Washington Voters Will Uphold Marriage Equality (slog.thestranger.com)
- Editorial: Gov. Gregoire Comes Around on Same-Sex Marriage (nytimes.com)
- Gregoire announces historic legislation for marriage equality in Washington state (ballardnewstribune.com)
- Republican Sen. Steve Litzow Announces Support for Washington’s Marriage Equality Bill (pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com)
- WA Gov. Chris Gregoire will introduce marriage equality bill (dailykos.com)
[…] Spokesman-Review Opinion: “Gays Deserve Same Rights” (dgsma.wordpress.com) […]