From Asher Huey at The Huffington Post :
Dear gay Republicans,
Rick Santorum’s surge and near-win in Iowa should be a wake-up call: your party hates you.
Let’s put economic and other issues aside for a moment; we can have a spirited debate about the backward GOP approach to taxes, the environment, and foreign policy another time. I don’t understand how you can look beyond the fact that a major portion of your party’s fundamental beliefs are that you are not equal.
This isn’t a minor issue within your party. The Republican Party platform calls for amending the United States Constitution to discriminate against you. Party officials actually want to use our country’s foundational document, which grants and extends rights and freedoms to people, to limit yours. But that’s only the tip of the iceberg.
…Your party has, as one of its major leading presidential candidates, a person who doesn’t think you should be able to serve openly in the military, who doesn’t believe that you can create a loving family, who thinks that your committed relationships are destroying the moral fabric of America. Your party has thrown you in the deviant pile. Your party has labeled you a sexual predator. Your party is afraid of you and does not incorporate your voice or believe in your dignity.
- Asher Huey: An Open Letter to Gay Republicans (huffingtonpost.com)
- After My Own Heart (dgsma.wordpress.com)
- Montana Split On Gay Marriage Rights (towleroad.com)
- Rick Santorum, Mitt Romney Pressed About Support For Gay Rights During 2012 New Hampshire GOP Debate (huffingtonpost.com)
- Friendly Fire: Don’t mistake comments on imaginary gay sons and friends for a softening of Rick Santorum’s anti-gay bigotry (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Letter: Republican Party’s decline is sad (knoxnews.com)
- The Perry Campaign Recycles Homophobia, and Angry Gay Republicans Recycle Outing (queerty.com)