From my friends over at New Ways Ministry:
From a Kensington.Patch.com article on marriage equality in Maryland entitled “O’Malley’s same-sex marriage bill to provide more religious protections” comes this quote which serves as a reminder that Catholic progressives need to speak up to their civil and church leaders:
” ‘I’m getting some people that are calling me to say they don’t support it, and they’re coming from churches, mainly the Catholic Church,’ said Delegate James W. Hubbard (D-Prince George’s County), a bill supporter and member of the Health and Government Operations Committee and chair of the Public Health and Long-Term Care subcommittee.
” ‘I listen to everybody, and I’ve been here 20 years. Those who really get wound up on these things are the ones who call. The people who support these things don’t call,’ he said.”
Point taken. As ridiculously hard as it is sometimes, it’s heartening to remember that the Roman Catholic Church is not the official far right- it’s got a progressive side, too. And plenty of people who go to mass regularly identify as “liberal”. Not to mention the rich history of dissent that has, arguably, saved the church’s bacon on more than one occasion (see: Catherine of Siena).
Reminder: don’t let the right-wing hijack your churches. When any institution moves too far to one side, it not only becomes unbalanced, it begins to convince itself that it’s supposed to be leaning that way.
- N.Y. Times Reports Incorrectly on Catholic Opposition to Marriage Equality (newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com)
- Catholics Speak Out for Marriage Equality in Maryland (newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com)
- Bill Donahue: CARDINAL BEVILACQUA TREATED UNFAIRLY (gloucestercitynews.net)
- Catholics Withhold Donations From Church, Tell Lawmakers that Bishops Don’t Speak for Them on Same-Sex Marriage (slog.thestranger.com)
- Military Orders Catholic Chaplains Not to Read Letter (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Often Overlooked, Sisters Are At Equality Forefront (dgsma.wordpress.com)
Hello, and thank you for this message. I fear that in the coming days it will be more difficult for Catholics to speak a progressive message without fear of reprisal. The Pope is launching the “Year of Faith” designed to instill preconciliar discipline from the Bishops to the lay faithful. To proclaim a message that is counter to traditional Catholic teachings or brings into question the authority of the Pope will be looked down upon. If you were a person reluctant to speak up in the past it will only get harder in the future. I am willing to speak out on the topic, so I will use my platform to bring more attention to this topic. I wish you all the best.
[…] Catholic Progressives: Speak Up! (dgsma.wordpress.com) […]