Just as I suspected. If Mitt Romney wants to (as he claims) overturn Obamacare, it’s going to cost the taxpayers billions of dollars to rollback the healthcare changes already underway. Not to mention the debt cliff that he will need the cooperation of Democrats to negotiate.
Ryan Lizza from the New Yorker:
Mitt Romney, speaking just before noon today, declared that on his first day in office, “I will act to repeal Obamacare.” I think he chose his words carefully. As President, he may indeed “act” to repeal it on Day One, but I don’t believe he will actually be able to overturn the law.
If Romney were to win in November, the first matter he’d have to deal with would be the fallout from the so-called fiscal cliff of December 31st, the day when some five hundred billion dollars worth of tax increases and spending reductions take effect, which could put the economy into another recession (if it’s not already in recession by then). This moment would perhaps be Romney’s greatest chance at repeal. Because the fiscal-cliff negotiations will be an enormous fight over the size and scope of the federal government, every government policy will theoretically be open to debate—including, Romney might insist, repeal of the A.C.A.
But it’s a fantasy. The negotiations would be dead before they started if Republicans demanded repeal as a price for a Grand Bargain on taxes, spending, and entitlements. The fiscal-cliff negotiations will undoubtedly include a great deal of horse-trading that will infuriate and cheer partisans on both sides. But there is literally nothing Republicans could offer Democrats in return for repealing the Party’s greatest achievement since the Johnson Administration.
The reality of the huge (enormous) cost of repeal will pull the bloom off the rose PDQ. It’s insanity.
Read the rest: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/06/why-romney-wont-repeal-obamacare.html#ixzz1zr4S7Yoi
- Why Romney Won’t Repeal Obamacare (newyorker.com)
- Michele Bachmann: It Only Takes 50 Plus One Senators to Repeal Obamacare (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Why Repealing Obamacare is a Fantasy (politicalwire.com)
- If Romney wins, he can repeal health reform. And he should. – Washington Post (blog) (washingtonpost.com)
- Constitutional Defiance: Romney Says He’ll Repeal ObamaCare (thenewamerican.com)
- Supreme Court OK of Obamacare is a huge gift to Romney and GOP (irishcentral.com)